Filter not working ('Mark messages as read')

• 6 Replies

Offline Mad-Batter

• Myotis
Filter not working ('Mark messages as read')
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:32:04 AM »
I hope someone actually reads these messages still!

I have a filter that isn't working and I can't figure out why.

It's simply a filter that after it's done its thing should mark the messages as read.
It's doing its thing, but then doesn't mark the messages as read.

I have checked the obvious such as:

-Is the filter near the top of filters?:  Yes
-Are any of the ones prior to it perhaps filtering the messages before they get a chance to be filtered
by the filter in question?:  No
-Is the 'Mark messages as read' option switched on? Yes

Any ideas?

TIA

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
Re: Filter not working ('Mark messages as read')
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 04:59:36 PM »
Yeah we're still here, snoozing in the Bank Holiday sun.  :-D

Have you tried simply removing the filter and recreating it? Sometimes if they go screwy that will fix the problem. If not, let us know what version of TB! are you using and we'll have another think.
Cheers!
Anne

Offline Mad-Batter

• Myotis
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 05:17:55 PM »
Yeah we're still here, snoozing in the Bank Holiday sun.  :-D

Have you tried simply removing the filter and recreating it? Sometimes if they go screwy that will fix the problem. If not, let us know what version of TB! are you using and we'll have another think.

I'm using v.1.61 an ancient version.
I don't think re-creating it will make a difference as it's brand new!
I'll do it just for fun though.

As I mentioned it does its filtering properly. The messages are sent to the correct folder (Trash). But they just aren't flagged properly.

Offline Mad-Batter

• Myotis
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 08:17:50 PM »
Yeah we're still here, snoozing in the Bank Holiday sun.  :-D

OK, as I suspected, a new filter doesn't do the trick either.
Any other ideas to try?
The program works quite well otherwise.

TIA

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 03:23:43 AM »
OK let me try it out tomorrow on my OH's computer as he is still using TB! v1.63 unlike me who has moved on to v3... I'll be back tomorrow. ;)
Cheers!
Anne

Offline Mad-Batter

• Myotis
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:44:50 AM »
OK let me try it out tomorrow on my OH's computer as he is still using TB! v1.63 unlike me who has moved on to v3... I'll be back tomorrow. ;)

OK thanks.  It's not too urgent. I have a work-around for the time being.

It's funny because I have another similar filter that is searching for a sender's address, doing the filter correctly and then marking the message as read.

But this one is searching for a text string [FINALLY moving] in the body and should then be marked as read.
It's going into the Trash can as it should, but I don't know if it's because another filter is catching it later (down the list of filters). I don't think so, because that filter works properly and marks the messages as read.

I hope this makes sense.

Maybe I don't have the text string set up properly? At first I just had 'FINALLY moving' with nothing else. Then I added brackets [] around it because the Help file gives examples like that.

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »
In your Filter settings for that filter, you have Rule / Alternatives / Actions / Options / Advanced - so you have set up your filter in the Rule & Actions tabs...  and that works, but have you ticked the Continue Processing With Other Filters box under the Options tab?

The Help file in my later version of TB! says: "Continue processing with other filters - set this switch if you want to continue processing the next filter once this filter has been triggered. Normally, if The Bat! finds a match it will stop the filtering process at that point. This switch is often used in conjunction with a non-moving filter - one which specifies the same source folder as destination folder. For instance, such a filter can be used to set the Colour Group of a message before moving it to another folder. See Filtering Actions for more information on actions." (This doesn't seem to be in the 1.x Help file though!)

The bolded bit above sounds like it might be what's happening with yours?  Can you check and see if you have the Options > Continue...  setting ticked and let me know if this does the trick?
Cheers!
Anne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk