Messages appear to have been deleted

• 1 Replies

Offline pgro

• Pipistrelle
  • The Bat! version: 3.99.3
Messages appear to have been deleted
« on: October 19, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »
I'm using TB! v3.99.3 on XPsp3.

The other day I made the mistake of running the maintenance centre utility against one of my accounts, with 'check integrity' and 'compress' tick boxes marked (not purge). The account had something over 3,500 messages.

It was being very slow, so I ht 'cancel' (or was it 'stop'?) to stop the process. Imagine my horror when I checked my Inbox to discover all my messages appeared to have been deleted! The total count looked like this: 4 (3,357). There were 4 new messages, just downloaded, but the entirety of the message base (all 3357 messages) APPEARED to be marked as absent / deleted. Nothing in the Trash folder.

I have tried deleting the .tbi file and restarting TB!, but no success. I spent hours searching forums, manuals and FAQs looking for advice. This episode makes me think there must be a recovery or undelete function buried somewhere in the system. My disk space is unaffected, and the .TBB file is encouragingly large.

Can anyone suggest a solution here?

Thanks
Peter

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
Re: Messages appear to have been deleted
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 07:27:32 AM »
I'm adding the replies I sent to Peter via PM here for future reference in case they are helpful to anyone else with this issue...

There is a folder option for Browse Deleted Messages - to find it you highlight your folder in the account tree (e.g. Inbox) and then under the Folder item in the menu at the top you should see the option to Browse Deleted Messages. Click that and all messages marked as deleted are listed with a strikethrough...  then select all (Ctrl+A) the deleted messages and right mouse click to open the menu, select Message and then select Undelete from the Message sub-menu.]

Note: If you Purge or Compress the folders then this option will not work!

The other option would be to use the Import Message option to bring the messages from the not-working TBB  file into a new account... this is under the TOOLS menu, Import Messages from... and choose The Bat! Message base v2 (TBB)...

This page also has some useful advice if the TBB file is corrupted... https://www.raymond.cc/blog/recover-and-restore-deleted-email-messages-from-the-bat/
Cheers!
Anne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk