all settings and messages have vanished

• 1 Replies

Offline mccortney

• Pipistrelle
all settings and messages have vanished
« on: May 19, 2009, 12:15:35 AM »
When my wife showed up to the office this morning her address book, account settings, and messages were gone from all of her accounts with the exception of the messages that she downloaded last Friday.  This includes all messages in any of the folders she uses to filter messages.  It's like she downloaded the bat for the first time except for the account names and a handful of email messages from that one specific day.

I ran a virus scan and did find a virus, but there is nothing in the virus information that makes the believe that it had anything to do with this.

I've searched the board, but didn't find anything quite like this.  I have looked at her .tbb files and they are all less than one MB, so I'm guessing that everything is gone for good.

Any wisdom on what has happened, what I need to do to keep it from happening again, and any possible method to recover the lost emails and address book information would be greatly appreciated.

GM

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
Re: all settings and messages have vanished
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 01:18:56 AM »
Oh dear, sorry to hear this. I wonder what happened... you could try deleting the .tbi file from each mail folder (NOT the .tbb!) The .tbi is the index file and this can get corrupted, but delete it whilst TB! is closed down, then relaunch TB! and it will re-index the messages that are still in the .tbb files.

I'm thinking that perhaps your virus had attached itself to many of the emails somehow and the a/v removal process has deleted them as part of the clean up.  I don't suppose your wife has a backup policy has she? If not, it's a good idea to set one up to prevent losing emails again. Let me know if the .tbi reindex helps at all.
Cheers!
Anne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk