Account and Subfolders disapeared

• 1 Replies

Offline MIG

• Pipistrelle
Account and Subfolders disapeared
« on: March 30, 2010, 06:50:48 AM »
Hi

I'am New on this forum (Just registered) I have been using the Bat! version 4.0.38 for quiet a while now and yesterday somehow my primary account (default) disapeared with subfolders........I mean every subfolders created under that particular account.
I haven't done any back up, never had such problem with earlier version.
I have try shift+Ctrl+Alt+L nothing happen.
Is there anyone that can help me with this issue ?

Thanks in advance,
MIG

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
Re: Account and Subfolders disapeared
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:30:53 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board. This sounds like a big Oops! doesn't it but if you can just check something for me we can probably rescue things...  :D

First, can you go check in the place where you store your The Bat! Mail folder and just check that the folders for the account name you have lost are still physically in the Mail folder? So long as they are there then it's easy to fix. (Unless something catastrophic has happened on your hard drive then they should be... if they aren't then it's Plan B - data recovery which is a lot trickier, so fingers crossed!)

So, assuming that your files are there, this is what you do...

Open The Bat!, and go to the Account menu, and from it select New...  a box will open where you can create a new account... follow the steps to do this using exactly the same account name and data as the one you have lost. Don't make any changes to that info as you do it. Especially important is that the account has the same name as the lost one, as when you create the new account TB! will check and find that the files for an account with that name are still there and will connect them up to the new account and you'll have everything back again as it should be.

Basically what has happened is that the Windows Registry list of accounts in TB! has been corrupted, so when TB! reads that list it doesn't know that your account is there. Following the steps above puts the Registry entry right as well as restoring the visibility of the files in TB!

Now, as to backups... you really should be doing these daily you know! It's easy to do, and rather than use the built in TB! backup/restore which I've never found wildly reliable to be honest, you can use something else. I always recommend Karen's Replicator as it's free, simple to use and you can set it and forget it and Replicator will do it all for you. Saves a lot of hassle and stress if/when things go wrong. Have a look here to download it: http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp - its a doddle to use and can be used to back up to a local drive, network drive or removable storage such as a USB stick etc...  Hope this helps.

Let us know how you get on.  8)

Cheers!
Anne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk