Duplicate messages being fetched - shared mailbox configuration

• 4 Replies

Offline hrcafe

• Pipistrelle
I am sharing a mailbox on two workstations (I want two users to be able to read messages from the same account and send messages).  The actual mailbox files reside on a third machine, a server.  For some reason I get duplicate copies of all messages on both workstations.  I am not sure what is causing this.  Both workstations are set to check the mail every 10 minutes but I don't know why this would cause duplicate messages to appear on both clients.  Does any know what might cause duplicate copies of the messages to be fetched?

Offline hrcafe

• Pipistrelle
Re: Duplicate messages being fetched - shared mailbox configuration
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »
Sorry, I am using version 4.0.24, Home Edition of TB!

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »
Retrieving messages fetches a copy of every message on your server - the fact that you've already had them won't stop them being downloaded again. This will repeat until your messages are actually deleted off the mail server.
Cheers!
Anne

Offline hrcafe

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:23:24 PM »
I don't believe this is true, Anne.  On another computer where I use TB! for a different account no matter how many times I check the mail (account is set to "Leave Messages on Server") each message is only retrieved once.  Also, if what you say were true, on the shared scenario, we would have multiple copies of the same message appearing in the Inbox instead of exactly two since both computers are set to check for mail every 10 minutes. We do have both computers set to "Leave Messages On Server" but, like I said, in another standalone TB! installation the duplicate-message problem does not happen even with this setting.  It must be something else causing the duplicate messages.

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:40:11 AM »
My experience isn't the same as that... if I leave messages on the server they come down again. There is also the mark as read setting - that might be a factor, have you checked that in your account settings?
Cheers!
Anne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk