How can I retrieve my messages

• 7 Replies

Offline Geoff Lane

• Pipistrelle
« on: November 27, 2002, 05:48:48 PM »
Using TB 6.1 on NT4 when the machine repeatedly BSOD'd and I couldn't even start in VGA mode. I had an upgrade copy of Win2000 that I hadn't installed previously because my backup software is incompatible with Win2000.

Thinking I have nothing to lose, I installed Win 2000, deleting the original boot partition but retaining the partition that have my TB account files. When I reinstalled TB and recreated the account, TB picked up all my folders. Unfortunately, most of these folders are now empty when viewed in TB. Folder->Browse Deleted Messages does not reveal the missing messages. However, if I look at the Messages.TBB files in Notepad, I can see the message content.

Is there any way that I can get these messages back?

TIA,
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Offline Barry

• Myotis
    • Burton Tech Support
Re: How can I retrieve my messages
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 04:19:49 AM »
Quote from: Geoff Lane

Is there any way that I can get these messages back?

TIA,

Try importing the saved TBB files using Tools / Import Messages and browsing to your saved files.

Offline Geoff Lane

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 08:31:42 AM »
Quote from: barry2

Try importing the saved TBB files using Tools / Import Messages and browsing to your saved files.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, when I click Tools / Import Messages, there is no option for TBB files (Eudora, Netscape, Microsoft, and Pegasus - but no TBB). Can I do the import by renaming a TBB and choosing one of these formats (if so, which and to what should I rename the TBB file?)

TIA,
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Offline Don Zeigler

• Vampire
  • I AM GOD HERE
    • Dizzy Computer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 03:45:45 PM »
Won't <control><alt><shift><L> work to rebuild the folders' message index and make the mails readable again?
Regards,

Don
Exalted Excellency and Owner, TB Forums

Offline Geoff Lane

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2002, 07:25:01 PM »
Quote from: Admin
Won't <control><alt><shift><L> work to rebuild the folders' message index and make the mails readable again?

It brings back lost folders (it even creates second copies of some folders). However, it doesn't bring back the lost messages.
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2002, 03:57:52 AM »
Quote from: Geoff Lane

Thanks for the suggestion. However, when I click Tools / Import Messages, there is no option for TBB files (Eudora, Netscape, Microsoft, and Pegasus - but no TBB). Can I do the import by renaming a TBB and choosing one of these formats (if so, which and to what should I rename the TBB file?)TIA,

Geoff,

I suspect you're looking at the Import Wizard to see that list.  In the same Menu as the Import Wizard - i.e. Tools ยป Import Messages you should have a menu containing five options - the last being the Import Wizard.  However, above that in the same menu there should be the following:

From .MSG/.EML files
From .UNIX mailboxes
From .MSB files
From The Bat Message Base (.TBB files)

It's the last one of the four listed (in bold above) which should enable you to restore your lost messages.  

The other thing you can do is to delete the .TBI file from the mail folder (Program Files - The Bat! - Mail - Account name -  (blah).tbi) as this is the index file for the message base.  It can sometimes get into a muddle, but if you delete the .tbi file (or rename it to (blah).tbi.old if you'd rather keep it) TB! will recreate the index the next time the program is run.  Make sure TB! is closed before you try this last option though!
Cheers!
Anne

Offline Geoff Lane

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2002, 07:42:14 AM »
Thanks Anne,

I was indeed looking at the Import Wizard. I'm almost certain that's what appeared when I clicked Tools / Import Messages. That said, my new computer arrived yesterday and on that computer TB has the submenu you describe.

FWIW, Roelof Otten suggested deleting the TBI files on TBUDL (and that worked for some folders). Importing the TBB has restored messages in all that remained except for two folders. In these, I can see the message content in Notepad but neither recreating the index, importing from TBB, nor browsing deleted messages brings them back. Thankfully, the two remaining folders contain nothing important -- so I now have retrieved everything that I couldn't afford to lose.

Thanks
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
Rescuing messages
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2002, 12:22:13 AM »
Glad to hear you've managed to recover them Geoff, and thanks for letting us know how it went. :D
Cheers!
Anne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk