Move TheBat! to another drive?

• 12 Replies

Offline allgo

• Pipistrelle
« on: November 16, 2002, 10:11:01 AM »
On a TBUDL posting I read that one should  first of all copy TheBat folder to another drive (am running out of space on C:), and make sure it was working there, rather than attempt to move it to E: in one fell swoop.

This I did and under properties, "C:Program FilesThe Bat!   hebat.exe", I changed the C: to E; When I wrote a sample email however, it continued to be saved to C.

What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to tinker with the Registry?

Many thanks in advance,
Allgo

Offline Barry

• Myotis
    • Burton Tech Support
Moving TB!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2002, 01:17:27 PM »
What I'd do is to do a backup to drive E then un-install TB! from C and install onto drive E. Then do a restore from the backup data saved.

There will probably be a few locations in registry that relate to TB! on drive C.

However, if space on drive C is so short then maybe you should be addressing that problem too as you will hit the same trouble again soon  :(

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
Moving TB! to another drive
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2002, 05:49:54 PM »
Can I suggest that this thread should be moved to another forum - Bat Basics or Installation/Config as appropriate as it's not an Off Topic subject - and Water Cooler is for OT subjects.  I'm thinking that it may be more useful to both the enquirer and to subsequent visitors if it was relocated.  :)
Cheers!
Anne

Offline allgo

• Pipistrelle
Re: Moving TB!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2002, 06:21:38 PM »
Quote from: barry2

Thank you Barry for your response - I have done the backup, but how exactly do I go about getting it to "install onto drive E".

I've been using the program for the past three years and quite happily upgrading every time there is a major new release. The new upgrade seems to override the old one and never a problem.

I recently came across my confirmation of purchase (Dec 99) and there are over 50 numbers and digits as well as another list of something called 'Key Checksum' - more characters/digits. Do they all have to be retyped into the download of the latest version?

As for those
"few locations in registry that relate to TB! on drive C." are you suggesting I should remove them manually?

Many thanks once more

Offline Barry

• Myotis
    • Burton Tech Support
Re: Moving TB! to another drive
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2002, 06:34:07 PM »
Quote from: Anne
Can I suggest that this thread should be moved to another forum - Bat Basics or Installation/Config as appropriate as it's not an Off Topic subject - and Water Cooler is for OT subjects.  I'm thinking that it may be more useful to both the enquirer and to subsequent visitors if it was relocated.  :)

Yep, I agree here ... since there's no moderator for the Water Cooler guess that's a job for Don  :wink:

( Suggest Installation and Configuration as it seems more related to that )

Meanwhile - will continue the help thread ...

Offline Barry

• Myotis
    • Burton Tech Support
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2002, 07:18:41 PM »
Quote from: allgo
Quote from: barry2

Thank you Barry for your response - I have done the backup, but how exactly do I go about getting it to "install onto drive E".

Unfortunately I've now been informed by Anne that this method doesn't work as it should  :(

To actually swap TB! from the C drive to the E drive there are utilities that can do this and take care of all references etc .... Norton Clean Sweep does it, as does Fix It Utilities.

That would seem to be the best option to investigate for you as you won't have to actually move the program and data separately :)

Maybe somebody here knows of a free one too  :?:

I've been using the program for the past three years and quite happily upgrading every time there is a major new release. The new upgrade seems to override the old one and never a problem.

I recently came across my confirmation of purchase (Dec 99) and there are over 50 numbers and digits as well as another list of something called 'Key Checksum' - more characters/digits. Do they all have to be retyped into the download of the latest version?

As for those
"few locations in registry that relate to TB! on drive C." are you suggesting I should remove them manually?

Many thanks once more

If you use the utility option to move TB! then those references will be automatically updated ... to go into the registry and remove references is a long process and fraught with chances for a major screw up   :?

Offline allgo

• Pipistrelle
Move TheBat to another drive
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2002, 01:11:24 PM »
Thanks Barry (and Anne too) for your input. Fortunately I already had Powerdesk, one of the Fix-it Utilities (now called SystemSuite 4). I used it to move The Bat to another drive. There were a couple of error messages along the way, but the whole thing went off almost perfectly. I just have to fine tune some of the settings. What a relief not to have lost the lot! It also reinforces my belief in TB as a great product, especially the backup and restore function. Many thanks once again.

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
Re: Move TheBat to another drive
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2002, 01:23:57 AM »
Thanks Barry (and Anne too) for your input. Fortunately I already had Powerdesk, one of the Fix-it Utilities (now called SystemSuite 4). I used it to move The Bat to another drive. There were a couple of error messages along the way, but the whole thing went off almost perfectly. I just have to fine tune some of the settings. What a relief not to have lost the lot! It also reinforces my belief in TB as a great product, especially the backup and restore function. Many thanks once again.

Glad it worked for you   :)  Using something like FixIt I find is the easiest way to do the job as it means you don't need to tinker with registry settings etc. which can cause probs for the unwary!
Cheers!
Anne

Offline janie

• Myotis
    • http://www.janeellen.com
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2002, 12:31:14 PM »
I recently upgraded from twin 8gig hard drives to twin 40gig. The tech at my pc place was able to successfully transfer everything using Norton's Ghost. There wasn't a single setting I had to change on TheBat!, and needless to say I was thrilled. Some sort of utility is obviously the way to go.
Please don't tell me I'm burning the candle at both ends. Tell me where to get more wax!!

Offline Geoff Lane

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2002, 08:45:11 AM »

If you select the confirmation message so that its text is visible in the preview window, then click Help /  Enter registration code, TB fills in The Bat! Key and Key Checksum fields from the contents of the confirmation message. All you need to then type is the Key Password.
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Offline Simon

• Pipistrelle
Bit late in the day, but a suggestion for others perhaps.
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2002, 05:18:42 PM »
If you find you need more space for TB! and consider moving it to another drive first stop and consider whether you need to move the installation folder or just the message base! If you don't need to move The Bat! installation folders, but just the growing message base, you can easily locate the message base on another hard drive or removable drive by changing one parameter in the registry.

To move just the message base to another drive:

1. Close The Bat!
2. Copy the MAIL folder (under The Bat! folder) to the drive you want it located it on.
3. Rename the MAIL folder under The Bat! folder to MAILBAK

next:

4. Open regedit.
5. navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareRITThe Bat!
6. in the right-hand pane near the bottom you'll see a string value (ab) called "Working Directory". Right-click on it and choose 'Modify'
7. Enter the path to the new message base. Eg. E:my DataEmail and click OK

Restart The Bat! :)

You can rename the MAIL folder to anything you like by the way. As long as it is referenced in the "Working Directory" string in the registry. That is, if you didn't want to keep the default name of MAIL after copying the folder containing the message base to your new drive, you could simply rename it, to say Email and then you would add the path E:Email as the "Working Directory" string in the registry.

The above is very useful if you want to make your message base portable. For example, you can store your message base on a removable device, like a zip drive, or as I do, on a compact flash card.

Offline allie_M

• Noctule
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2002, 03:49:24 AM »
If you don't need to move The Bat! installation folders, but just the growing message base, you can easily locate the message base on another hard drive or removable drive by changing one parameter in the registry.

Actually, you don't need to edit the registry to do this.

To move all message bases to another location just open Options/Preferences, go to the System tab and change the Mail Directory to the new one using the browse button. When you hit OK, the mail will be moved by TB!

If you wish to move only an accounts mail bases to another location, go into the accounts properties and select the Files and Directories options. Change the Home Directory to the new location and hit OK. Again, TB! will get busy and move the accounts mailbases to the new location.
allie_M

Offline Simon

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2002, 11:34:01 PM »
Allie is quite correct of course, you can always do it the way he describes. Nonetheless, for users comfortable with simple and quick registry edits its just as simple to do it manually, and you kinda have all the control as well :) So, the more choices the better, eh :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk