The latest version of The Bat! is available from the Ritlabs website: DOWNLOAD THE BAT!

Author Topic: Probs with the %CURSOR macro in TB Pro  (Read 12781 times)

Offline Suresh

• Pipistrelle
Probs with the %CURSOR macro in TB Pro
« on: November 19, 2004, 12:17:15 PM »
I did mention this point in the other forum and am mentioning it here again. I use the %CURSOR macro to align the cursor to the top and left of the Compose document. This works OK when I set my Compose settings to plain text. When I set it to HTML or HTML with Plain Text, the part of the template below the %CURSOR comes up to the top left along with the cursor instead of appearing below the cursor. The basic template is like this:

%cursor
--
Best Regards
%fromname

When I select the HTML compose option, the "--" part is aligned to the top and left (where the cursor is supposed to be), on the first line of the compose area while it should actually be on the second line below the cursor. The "Best Regards" phrase is supposed to be on the third line, while it comes over to the second line with the HTML compose option. So I''''m forced to push them down before proceeding to compose.

It was suggested in the previous forum that the problem probably was with my template and so helpful folks wanted to see my complete template to see if I was doing something wrong. Keeping that in mind, I stripped the template of all contact info and set it up as I have mentioned above. That''s the complete template now. Still the problem persists. This problem occurs in the first version of TB Pro and also prevails in the second release (the current one, I guess) with a slight variation. If people have difficulty understanding the situation, I shall attempt to post legible screenshots, if they are allowed here, that is.
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak."
~Anonymous

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
Re: Probs with the %CURSOR macro in TB Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 01:08:46 PM »
Hi again, Thanks for reposting it to the new forum. :)

I''ve been trying to figure out what''s going wrong and am stumped at the moemnt. I copied your template into a test account of mine, changed the editor to HTML in Options and created a new message and it worked fine for me. The cursor appeared where it should do at the top left of the message pane. 

So a daft question coming up... how are you putting the cursor into the message pane? Are you simply clicking with your mouse are are you using the tab button to tab through the fields into the message pane? Also, which version of TB! are you using (check  Help menu > About for exact version/build).
Cheers!
Anne

Offline Suresh

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 02:02:16 PM »
Now, I''m stumped. Wonder why this thing, which used to work well with the previous .exe installations of TB, isn''t working at all for me while it does for you.

With Plain Text, the cursor is already there, where it should actually be, at the top left, first line. When I change it to HTML with alternative plain text part or HTML only, the cursor starts at the "To:" field of the email. It doesn''t really matter if I tab it down to the message pane or place it with my mouse, the "--" part is aligned to the top left, on the first line.

Now tell me, when you change from plain text to HTML, is the cursor still there at the top left of the message pane, the only change visible being the appearance of the HTML buttons, or does the cursor begin with the "To:" field of the email? This is a daft question too, but while we are at it why not go the whole length and cover minute details.

Current version: TheBat! Version 3.0 (Windows Installer Package, TheBat! Professional, 8.02 MB)
AMD Athlon processor, 40 GB disk, 256MB RAM
Microsoft .NET Framework (English) v1.0.3705
BitDefender AV, ZoneAlarm Pro FW running

I used to run the current (I think) version of TheBat! Professional, Version 3.0.1.33. And faced a different problem. With that, when I switched to HTML with alternative plain text part or HTML only, the cursor used to be at the top left, but the "--" part used to be placed after a gap of a line, that is, on the third line. Using the same template. Very baffling.

Tell me if u need more info- this is beginning to get on my nerves and I need to find a solution to this.

Anne, can I IM you?
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak."
~Anonymous

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 09:08:45 PM »
Now, I''''m stumped. Wonder why this thing, which used to work well with the previous .exe installations of TB, isn''''t working at all for me while it does for you.

It must be a template problem somewhere, we just need to track down where. :)

With Plain Text, the cursor is already there, where it should actually be, at the top left, first line. When I change it to HTML with alternative plain text part or HTML only, the cursor starts at the "To:" field of the email. It doesn''''t really matter if I tab it down to the message pane or place it with my mouse, the "--" part is aligned to the top left, on the first line.

It works for me in all editors... which reinforces my feeling that the problem is not a global TB! one.

Now tell me, when you change from plain text to HTML, is the cursor still there at the top left of the message pane, the only change visible being the appearance of the HTML buttons, or does the cursor begin with the "To:" field of the email? This is a daft question too, but while we are at it why not go the whole length and cover minute details.

Current version: TheBat! Version 3.0 (Windows Installer Package, TheBat! Professional, 8.02 MB)
AMD Athlon processor, 40 GB disk, 256MB RAM
Microsoft .NET Framework (English) v1.0.3705
BitDefender AV, ZoneAlarm Pro FW running[/font]

The cursor starts in the To: field under the html editors.

I used to run the current (I think) version of TheBat! Professional, Version 3.0.1.33. And faced a different problem. With that, when I switched to HTML with alternative plain text part or HTML only, the cursor used to be at the top left, but the "--" part used to be placed after a gap of a line, that is, on the third line. Using the same template. Very baffling.

Templates have a hierarchy... so you can get the situation where you think one template is being used when in fact another one is being called.

So the hierarchy  - that it the order of priority of templates - is Address Book Individual, Address Book Group, Folder, Account. So if you filter into a folder and have a template set in the Properties for that folder then the template there will be used rather than the Account template. Similarly, if you''re mailing someone in your Address Book and have a template set in the properties for that person in the AB that will be used rather than the folder template, or the account template, and so on.

I think what you need to do is to go through all the sources of your templates -and make sure that none of them are over-riding the one you want used. You''ll find AB templates in the Properties for an AB entry or group;  folder templates in the properties for each folder (they can all be different of course!), and the account templates in Account menu > Properties > Templates. 

Once you have checked all of those we can eliminate a template conflict but not until.

Tell me if u need more info- this is beginning to get on my nerves and I need to find a solution to this
Anne, can I IM you?[/font][/size]

Yes of course you can - use the PM function on the board. :)

Cheers!
Anne

Offline Suresh

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 03:25:03 AM »
The Account templates are the only ones I use for new messages, replies and forwards. No other ones have been set by me. I''ll setup TB on some other machine and try the template in HTML mode. If the result is the same even there, then I''ll stop using templates altogether.
~Anonymous

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 12:46:07 PM »
OK now we''ve setablished that, can you do something else for me...  make sure TB! is completely closed down before you start, of course!

Then go into your TB! mail folder for your mail account and see if there are two files inside it. (there are more than two but these are the ones we''re interested in)... one called account.cfg and another called account.cfn. Check the dates of them both - one will be older than the other - in fact one should have the current date - leave that one as it is, and rename the other older one by adding.old to the end of the filename. Don''t touch any of the other files or you''ll break TB! and then it won''t work at all!

Then relaunch TB! and see if your templates are working as they should do. Let us know how you get on.
Cheers!
Anne

Offline Suresh

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 06:07:35 AM »
I did not find those files in my mail folder. I have let the associated files and folders be installed in a folder called TheBat on D drive and a search of that folder did not reveal the files you've mentioned. Listed below is everything that is contained in the mail folder TheBat.

1. BayesIT (Folder)
{a. advanced (Configuration Settings)
b. bayesit.lng
c. bayesit.tbp
d. history (text document)
e. kludges (text document)
f. pcre.dll}

2. Images (Folder)
{a. Default (folder containing a number of smileys and images)
b. default.msl}

3. Speller (Folder)
{accent.tlx, correct.tlx, Ssceam2.clx, Ssceam.tlx, sscebr12.clx, SSCEBR.tlx, ssceda2.clx, ssceda.tlx, SSCEDU2.clx, SSCEDU.tlx, SSCEFI2.clx, SSCEFI.tlx, SSCEFR2.clx, SSCEFR.tlx, sscegn2.clx, sscegn.tlx, sscego2.clx, sscego.tlx, SSCEIT2.clx, SSCEIT.tlx, SSCENB2.clx, SSCENB.tlx, SSCEPB2.clx, sscepb.tlx, SSCEPO2.clx, SSCEPO.tlx, SSCESP2.clx, SSCESP.tlx, SSCESW2.clx, SSCESW.tlx, userdic.tlx}

4. bat_czh, esp, fra, ger, pol, rom,rus, sky, srb,src, swe, ukr (12 files for various languages)
5. DEIMSI
6. license
7. lngversion
8. readme
9. SSCE513.dll
10. TBMapi.dll
11. The_bat help file
12. The_bat.cnt
13. thebat (exe)
14. thebat.lng

There are 25 items in that folder and I've listed the files contained in the folders too. Also a search for account.cfg and account.cfn yielded no results (I have disabled Indexing Service; hope you don't ask me to enable it now, for I don't see the connection between the malfunctioning macro and this). No folders labelled as RIT or the_bat or Thebat could be found in the Program Files either. This is getting mysterious although the element of thrill is sadly missing  :?.

I have also disabled certain Windows services that are listed under services.msc. Do you want a list of the disabled services too? (Please say No!)

So if I know where those files you mentioned are then I can try out your suggestions. I can understand if you lose your cool over this. And I must say you could put a bloodhound to shame with your perseverance. I'd also mentioned this about an year back (perhaps you don't remember): is fossil hunting one of your favourite hobbies?  :wink:
~Anonymous

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 12:15:47 PM »
I did not find those files in my mail folder. I have let the associated files and folders be installed in a folder called TheBat on D drive and a search of that folder did not reveal the files you've mentioned. Listed below is everything that is contained in the mail folder TheBat.

Hi again Suresh, The folder you need to look in is in the Mail folder for TB! - depending on which version of Windows you're running this may be in C:\Program Files\The Bat!\Mail or if you use XP it's in the Documents and Settings user folder...  do a search for Mail as a folder name if you can't find it.  Once you do find it open the folder and you'll see folders inside with the name of your mail account (or accounts if there's more than one). Open the mail account folder and you should now see the filenames I have you earlier. :)

I can understand if you lose your cool over this. And I must say you could put a bloodhound to shame with your perseverance. I'd also mentioned this about an year back (perhaps you don't remember): is fossil hunting one of your favourite hobbies?  :wink:

Lose my cool me..??? No chance!  8-) and yes I do remember you asking me... I don't know if I replied, but I'm a genealogist so I'm used to tracking down answers to obscure questions.. not quite fossil hunting but not far off!  :sunny:
Cheers!
Anne

Offline Suresh

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 02:48:21 AM »
Anne, I did find the Mail folder In Application Data (Docs & Settings) as you mentioned, located the files you'd made a mention of, found out that account.cfg was the older file and changed it to account.cfg.old. Immediately the description of the file too changed to "OLD File" from something else earlier. But it didn't change things any; the "--" below the cursor still comes up to the top left. Boo Hoo!!  :bigcry:

I'll do one thing. Sometime later, I'll uninstall TB completely, take out the Registry entries too and make a fresh install. Then, if I find that the template still behaves as it does now, I'll close TB, again change account.cfg to account.cfg.old and try again. I'll let you know about the progress (or the lack of it).
~Anonymous

Offline Suresh

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 01:05:16 PM »
I did a fresh install of The Bat! after completely uninstalling it and, this time, directed the mail folders to be placed in a folder of my choice so I could find them easily. But there's no account.cfg available now; only account.cfn exists. The same's the case in each of the 4 mail accounts that I access with The Bat!. Maybe account.cfg shows up following the first reboot after installation and I'm not in a position to reboot right now coz of circumstances. I'll try later and let you know pronto.

I also tried changing the Word Wrap limit to 70 (I usually set it to 150) and check the functioning of the template, but to no avail. Oh...the template still behaves in the same manner as it used to before the re-installation of TB.

But, as mentioned in my previous post, adding a .old extension to the account.cfg file did not solve the problem the last time.
~Anonymous

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 03:45:35 PM »
Don't worry about losing the account.cfg file... with a new install it won't be there. It's a file left over from earlier versions of TB! (the 2.x series) which used a different format to store account configuration data. Having them both in the folder has caused problems to some users, which is why I suggested renaming it so that TB! doesn't know it's there - there could have been a conflict between them causing your problem. The new format is the account.cfn, so as long as you have that it's OK.

Now to why this template still won't work... hmmm there has to be something causing the problem somewhere... can you send me a copy of your account.cfn file please and I can see if I can find out what's causing the problem? Don't send it to the board - add it as an attachment to an e-mail and send me by e-mail the_bat@canalia.co.uk and I'll get back to you asap. (There's nothing in the file to worry about my seeing - the templates are in clear text, everything else is machine-readable only - quite beyond my capabilities as a mere human!  :wink:)
Cheers!
Anne

Offline Suresh

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 06:11:34 PM »
Anne, I have sent the Account.CFN files (plural coz I discovered that there was one account.cfn file in each mail account folder in addition to the one in the mail folder) to the email address you have provided. And I'm not at all bothered about your seeing (even if you could, you wouldn't do it I'm sure  :beam:) whatever is contained in those files.
~Anonymous

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 10:52:58 PM »
Hi Suresh,

Sorry for delay in replying... work overtook me  :wry:   

Received your cfn files safely and having looked at them I can't see anything that would cause the problem you're having. The templates look fine and should work. I'm completely baffled as to why they don't do. I'm not sure what to suggest next to be honest...  I think as it's happening with HTML created messages you could file it as a bug and get the developers to look at it. It may be some combination of TB! and your Windows version that causes it,  which I don't get as I use a different version of Windows.  We have found version specific bugs before, especially in the HTML editor. File a bug and see what they say... http://www.ritlabs.com/bt/

Sorry that I can't find the solution to the problem for you.
Cheers!
Anne

Offline Suresh

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 07:20:35 AM »
Anne, am glad you're back and I'm not surprised that work overtook you :beam:

The version of Windows I'm currently using is Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2. And more interesting news! I've now switched to TheBat! v3.0.1.33 and there's a different kind of problem with the template's behaviour. Now there's an extra line that gets added (using the same template mentioned earlier) in new messages and replies between the cursor and the "--". That is, the cursor starts off in the "To" field when I use HTML and when I tab it down to the message pane, it stops at the top left there. While the "--" part should be present on the next line, there's a gap of a blank line and the "--" part appears on the third line. Very strange, isn't it? Am I jinxed? :confused:

You want my cfn files again? :-D

I'll file the bug and inform you. Do they reply? No, I guess.
~Anonymous

Offline steverio

• Golden Crowned
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 08:24:23 PM »
I can confirm this occurrence in a test template I tried with the default text editor set as "HTML only" or "HTML with alt. text part". It seems the starting message pane cursor position is showing up before the line break <BR> in the paragraph<P> line instead of after it. It's not a problem with me since I regularly just use plain text format with occasional HTML adornments.  :smiley2:

(Using v3.0.2.8 on Windows XP Pro SP2)
Steverio

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk