The Unofficial Bat Support Forums provides help and support for all previous versions of The Bat! before the current version

Author Topic: BayesFilter again  (Read 6944 times)

Offline davidc

• Vampire
  • ProtoBat
BayesFilter again
« on: November 30, 2004, 06:53:03 PM »
The help file says not to delete any spam from the spam folder.
So what does one do when the spam folder gets rather large.
If I leave it for a period of 1 year it would be very large.
I must have missed something here?
 :help:

Offline steverio

• Golden Crowned
Re: BayesFilter again
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 10:26:26 PM »
The help file says not to delete any spam from the spam folder.
So what does one do when the spam folder gets rather large.
If I leave it for a period of 1 year it would be very large.
I must have missed something here?
 :help:

Maybe...I read that you cannot undo previous actions if you have deleted the mail to be corrected before selecting the  "Mark as Junk" and "Mark as NOT Junk" operations again to correct them. So yes, don't delete mail that you have classified in error.

I think spam removal statistics reaching near 100% depends on how well you balance the training of spam/ham and using the other included tools effectively so I would assume the percentage detection ratio varies per individual. They are all a system that work together as a team to increase your ratings. With the addition of the Spamassassin-like regular expression filter maybe it will speed up the detection rate. I would like to see some statistics compiled from users.
Steverio

Offline davidc

• Vampire
  • ProtoBat
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 08:43:16 PM »
Thanks for your reply.
I have not explained myself very well  :wink:
Hypothetical question really.
I have heard of people getting 1000+ spam mails  per month, and over a year that is enough to clog up anything.
So as the only way to get mail out of the junk folder is to mark it as ham then delete it, and this in turn reduces the accuracy, there seems to come a point when one is between a rock and a hard place  :uhoh:

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 09:31:57 PM »
I wouldn't worry about 1,000 mails a month causing problems for TB! - it can handle extremely large volumes of mail - I have somewhere in the region of 200,000 e-mails in my TB! and it still works flawlessly, so 12,000 spam isn't going to hurt it. The main things to remember are not to leave large quantity of mail in the Inbox... use filters or transfer manually to other folders. As the Inbox is the highest traffic folder it is the one which can be corrupted if a large amount of mail is stored in it. And, remember to compress your folders regularly - once a week won't hurt at all, and it will keep your Inbox running sweet. The only problem you're likely to have in terms of size is if your entire mail folder gets to be larger than 2GB.  Hope this helps reassure you.  :sunny:
Cheers!
Anne

Offline davidc

• Vampire
  • ProtoBat
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 06:45:26 PM »
Hooray - back on line after a week (Glow telecom went bust) I do not even know who my host is yet  >:(
Tip - if you bundle your Internet and telephone in a deal you can get hurt bad  :furious2:
Thanks for your reply Anne, I do all you suggest and have no doubts about TB capabilities. :-D
I just hate having a folder full of stuff that I do not want and every time I launch TB I watch it being counted :wry:
Just off to do a trace to find out who my provider is.
Nice to to be back  :sunny:

Offline steverio

• Golden Crowned
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 12:33:22 AM »
Hundred...thousands..of spam to save and deal with?... :behead2:   

Here's one suggestion:

If you give your email address to everyone, spam is sure to follow and you probably won't know who is the guilty one.You could consider using disposible addresses so you can track down who is to blame for leaking your email address to a spammer. Just provide each contact ( web site and company) with a unique temporary email address. When you start receiving spam, you've narrowed your search down to a single party and can take the appropriate action.

Useful Disposible Address Sites:

Steverio

Offline davidc

• Vampire
  • ProtoBat
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 06:41:03 PM »
steverio
Yes I have learned my lesson and now use a web form on my sites, but some people do not like this way of emailing.

Anne
Just as a matter of interest, how long does it take for 200,000 emails to be counted upon launching TB.

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 12:56:16 AM »
On mine less than 30 seconds on average... not bad huh...? I suppose it would depend on the speed of your processor and amount of RAM etc....
Cheers!
Anne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk