The Unofficial Bat Support Forums provides help and support for all previous versions of The Bat! before the current version

Author Topic: Auto reply & message generation  (Read 10340 times)

Offline Alan

• Pipistrelle
Auto reply & message generation
« on: December 01, 2004, 05:38:04 PM »
Hi all,

Simple question I hope, if I phrase it peoperly!
I am using 202.3 CE version.

I know how to use templates to set up auto replies and forwarding etc, useful for website support etc
but I am wondering if TB! can be used to generate mail at a pre-selected time.

I work with some people where it would be useful for me to have emails that I have pre-generated being sent at a specfic time.
I know there are mailing type services available that will do this but TB seems so powerful I thought it may have it somewhere built in.... it's just finding it!  :huh2:

thanks,
alan
--
Alan

Using TB! 2.02.3 CE with XP Pro SP2

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
  • The Bat! version: 6.8.8
Re: Auto reply & message generation
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 09:26:04 PM »
Alan, I think the Scheduler should do this for you, although how well it works I don't know. I use TB! mainly under Linux/WINE and the Scheduler doesn't work at all there so I've no real experience of using it. I gather this is exactly the sort of thing it was designed to do though.
Cheers!
Anne

Offline steverio

• Golden Crowned
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 12:31:06 AM »
Hi all,

Simple question I hope, if I phrase it peoperly!
I am using 202.3 CE version.

I know how to use templates to set up auto replies and forwarding etc, useful for website support etc
but I am wondering if TB! can be used to generate mail at a pre-selected time.

I work with some people where it would be useful for me to have emails that I have pre-generated being sent at a specfic time.
I know there are mailing type services available that will do this but TB seems so powerful I thought it may have it somewhere built in.... it's just finding it!  :huh2:

thanks,
alan

Alan...

You bet! The scheduler has worked for me doing this. Scheduler can send a messsage already in queque at a predetermined time and date. It can even create and send a message for you from a specific template or a QT you have made. You can designate different user accounts, send a separate template created message to each designated addressee and there's more... :smiley2:

I've found that although by ticking the required boxes so TB! will auto-connect to the Internet if needed and then dis-connect, TB! still needs to be open to begin with to carry out the assigned schedule. But you could use another task scheduler to auto-open TB! for you to carry on.

Using v3.0.2.10 on Windows XP Pro SP2
Steverio

Offline Alan

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 08:54:35 AM »
Thanks guys, thats most helpful, I will have a play around with the scheduler.

You both guessed right... I am using xp (pro).

alan.
--
Alan

Offline steverio

• Golden Crowned
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 07:20:40 PM »
Thanks guys, thats most helpful, I will have a play around with the scheduler.

You both guessed right... I am using xp (pro).

alan.

Make note that the scheduler functions as per my version of TB! Pro and OS as I noted. Other versions may be different since TB! has been evolving regularly and I am using a beta.
Steverio

Offline mrakomor

• Vampire
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 07:19:59 AM »
Scheduler is a very useful tool. Since version 3.0.2.8 there is a refilter action. This  greatly advances possibilities of automatic responses and similar things etc.  :sunny:

Offline Alan

• Pipistrelle
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 09:00:19 AM »
I have played with scheduler and have successfully sent an email to one of my other accounts, even used the repeat to do so every 10 mins.

However, if I us ethe advance tab and try templates and attchments TB hangs. I am slowly working through this one, changing things one at a time but I can feel I need to upgrade to ver3;
Question do I take now or wait for CE version?

In scehduler on General tab there is a a start date & time and underneath a duration area.... What is the duration to be set for? Just say 2 or 3 minutes to enable the email to be sent??  :huh2: I can't seem to find any info on exactly what that field is controlling, just want to know if it affects sending info, as attachments etc may take longer.

Maybe you just leave set to default 1 hr?

--
Alan

Offline steverio

• Golden Crowned
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 06:15:45 PM »
I have played with scheduler and have successfully sent an email to one of my other accounts, even used the repeat to do so every 10 mins.

However, if I us ethe advance tab and try templates and attchments TB hangs. I am slowly working through this one, changing things one at a time but I can feel I need to upgrade to ver3;
Question do I take now or wait for CE version?

In the v.3 beta I'm using there is no "advanced" tab. I've tried templates and file attachments which work. I didn't know Ritlabs was making a special CE version. :huh2:

In scehduler on General tab there is a a start date & time and underneath a duration area.... What is the duration to be set for? Just say 2 or 3 minutes to enable the email to be sent??  :huh2: I can't seem to find any info on exactly what that field is controlling, just want to know if it affects sending info, as attachments etc may take longer.

Maybe you just leave set to default 1 hr?

Sounds safe and a good question...Seems that Ritlabs has left out a few detailed help files for some of Scheduler's operations. I've ran some tasks that extended past what was set for the "duration" and they still finished.

Steverio

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 12:23:24 AM »
CE is the Christmas Edition, which usually comes out around now. I heard it was in the pipeline but I don't have a release date as yet.
Cheers!
Anne

Offline Peter

• Serotine
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 02:10:51 AM »
Seems that Ritlabs has left out a few detailed help files for some of Scheduler's operations.

Help files, which help files ??
'Up to date' Help was a discussion on TBBETA.
Being optimistic, I don't expect an 'up to date' help file to be available until the next major (4.y) release.

Honestly, I think a help file will always lag behind, releases are generally concidered to be more important than help files ...

Peter

Offline steverio

• Golden Crowned
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 05:31:05 AM »
Seems that Ritlabs has left out a few detailed help files for some of Scheduler's operations.

Help files, which help files ??
'Up to date' Help was a discussion on TBBETA.
Being optimistic, I don't expect an 'up to date' help file to be available until the next major (4.y) release.

Honestly, I think a help file will always lag behind, releases are generally concidered to be more important than help files ...

Isn't Ritlabs forum the new help file?   :lol: ...just kidding.

Steverio

Offline steverio

• Golden Crowned
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 05:41:43 AM »
CE is the Christmas Edition, which usually comes out around now. I heard it was in the pipeline but I don't have a release date as yet.

Then I'll be waiting cheerfully in anticipation! But someone should be hiring some more elves to keep thebat warm, comfy and prosperous.  :-D

I think some bats hibernate during the winter and some fly to warmer climates.
Steverio

Offline Anne

• Administrator
  • Golden Crowned
  • Rabbit Lady
    • Yobunny Enterprises
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 02:28:01 AM »
You could always checkout TBUDP (The Bat! Users Documentation Project) here... http://www.pcwize.com/thebat/tbudp/tiki-index.php which ia aiming to provide good help files for The Bat! but written by users rather than Ritlabs.
Cheers!
Anne

Offline steverio

• Golden Crowned
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 06:26:27 AM »
You could always checkout TBUDP (The Bat! Users Documentation Project) here... http://www.pcwize.com/thebat/tbudp/tiki-index.php which ia aiming to provide good help files for The Bat! but written by users rather than Ritlabs.

Yes, thanks. I've been lurking there for awhile Anne. They do have some good tips and information although new additions come at a pretty slow pace. It's a good start though. 
Steverio

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk